What is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is marketing by Emails over the Internet. Email marketing best practices include developing your own email list rather than buying an email list(s) and making participation in your email list opt-in rather than opt-out (using permission-based email marketing). Email should also be optimized for mobile usage as according to statistics over half of emails are opened on mobile devices.
Email marketing is a kind of email marketing that occurs when a company sends promotional messages or materials to groups of people by email. Usually, these messages contain advertisements, commercial messages, sales solicitation or donation, or a call for business.
Any kind of email with the said content can be considered their purpose is to acquire new customers, build or enhance a company’s relationship with their current customers, and for the customers consider a repeat business with them to develop trust, loyalty, or to give them awareness about their brand.
Advantages of Email Marketing:
The two big advantages of email marketing are price and ease. Emailing is an inexpensive way to advertise your company and its products and/or services compared to many other types of marketing. It's also extremely easy to set up and track an email marketing campaign making it a very accessible type of marketing for small businesses.
Newsletters can be sent to the email list you've built from the people who provided the necessary information on your website, for instance, providing these potential customers with news updates about your company, upcoming events and/or special offers – and, of course, reminding them that your business exists and that maybe it's time for another visit.
- 94% of Internet users use email, while only 61% use social media.
- 75% of adult online users say that email marketing is their preferred marketing method.
- the opt-in feature of email allows marketing by consent.
- email marketing allows targeting by demographics (age, income, etc.)
- email messages have a much wider range of formatting possibilities than social media messages.
- email offers more reporting and analytics capability, such as click-through rates, open rates, bounce rates, and conversions.
The huge advantage of email over social media is that prospects and customers are more likely to see an email than social media. Just posting something doesn't mean that everyone you want to see your message will see it. Your post might not even show up in your targets' social media streams. However, an email will sit in the inbox until it's read (or deleted).
Disadvantages of Email marketing:
- The mail can be classified as spam. People’s inboxes get inundated with email, both solicited and unsolicited. Many servers have filters in place to cut down the amount of unwanted emails. People can also further adjust their email filters to their own tastes. This could result to the email to land in a spam folder and never get viewed.
- Email marketing requires constant tweaking to keep the subscribers engaged. The marketer must work to maintain a level of engagement to keep the reader from unsubscribing. Another thing to work on is to carefully craft the email marketing to look exactly the marketer envisioned it.